Minetest is an infinite-world block sandbox game and a game engine, inspired by InfiniMiner, Minecraft and the like.
Have a look at some screenshots, taken by the community.
- Explore, dig and build in a voxel world, and craft stuff from raw materials to help you along the way.
- Easy plugin based Modding API used to add blocks, tools and features to the game.
- Multiplayer support for tens of players, via servers hosted by users.
- Voxel based lighting with gameplay consequences (light caves and buildings with torches)
- Almost infinite world and several beautiful map generators.
- Runs natively on Windows, Linux, OS X and FreeBSD.
- Supports multiple languages, translated by the community.
Minetest was started by Perttu “celeron55” Ahola in October 2010, and is now developed by a random bunch of lunatics.
Minetest is designed to be simple, stable and portable. It is lightweight enough to run on fairly old hardware. It currently runs playably on a laptop with Intel 945GM graphics. Although, as for the CPU, dualcore is recommended.